It totally does not feel like Fall in Southern California. I was MELTING today while walking to my classes. School started last week and I`m already buried in school work and school events! Ahhhh!
I wish I had some of these caramel apple donuts right now. They would totally make my day, because they are so delicious. Like, really, really, GOOD, people.
I LOVE them. My sister, D, LOVES them. My mom LOVES them too! So much so that when I asked her which of my baked goods she likes the most, these donuts made the list!
My boyfriend didn`t have any. Why? Because he`s LAME and doesn`t like cinnamon in his food. (This is only acceptable because he didn`t grow up eating cinnamon. WHAT?! I know. Hey, people are different, so I`ll accept. For now. Between you and me, I`m trying to convert him. Yep, so shhh.)
Oh, and these donuts smell INCREDIBLE too. One of my friends was going to take a donut because he said they smelled so good, but he didn`t in the end because he didn`t know if he could or not. He`s one of my friends who got sick of eating baked goods...boo. :( He missed out big time on these, but I didn`t want to rub it in his face because these donuts disappeared in record time.
They are soft donuts and great to snack and even eat for breakfast. If you don`t like eating sweets for breakfast, opt out the caramel. I love eating them with and without the caramel! :D These are definitely something I would make over and over again because I just LOVE these caramel apple donuts~ Yep, they made my top favorites list!
*Sorry for the weird lighting in these pictures! They were taken awhile back.*
Caramel Apple Donuts
Adapted From: So Sweet! by Sur la table
Yields: 12 medium-large donuts
Total Time: ~35-45 minutes
- donut pan(s)
- 2 small bowl (to beat eggs + shred apples)
- 1 Fork/small whisk (to beat eggs)
- 1 Grater (to shred apples)
- Fine mesh
- 1 Medium bowl
- 2 Large bowl
- 2 Whisks
- 2 wooden spoons
- 1 Tall cup
- 1 pastry bag/sandwich bag
- 1 scissors
- cooling rack(s)
§ 2 Granny Smith apples, shredded (I peeled them first)
§ 1 teaspoon lemon juice
§ 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
§ 2 teaspoons baking powder
§ 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
§ 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
§ 1/4 teaspoon salt
§ 2 large eggs, beaten
§ 1/2 cup golden brown sugar (light, dark is fine too)
§ scant 1/2 cup granulated sugar
§ 1/2 cup vegetable oil
§ 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
§ caramel ice cream topping
1. Prep your ingredients: Beat the two eggs in the small bowl with a fork or small whisk. Shred your apples with the grater. Place apple shreds on a fine mesh and using a wooden spoon, squeeze as much juice out of them as you can. Transfer apples to a medium bowl and toss with lemon juice. Set beaten eggs and apples aside.
2. Spray your donut pans with cooking spray/oil.
3. Preheat your oven to 350°F.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
5. In another large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, granulated sugar, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract for about 1 or 2 minutes, until combined.
6. Add the wet ingredients (egg, sugars, etc) into the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, etc) and combine with a wooden spoon.
7. Next, fold in the shredded apples with a rubber spatula until apples are incorporated into batter. (Be careful not to over mix)
8. With either a pastry bag or sandwich bag, place into a tall cup with edges of the bag folded over the top of the cup.
9. Spoon mixture into pastry bag.
10. Cut the tip off the bag and fill your donut pan, dividing batter evenly among all cavities.
11. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
12. Flip donuts over onto a cooling rack.
13. Glaze donuts with caramel ice cream topping, if desired.