Happy Labor Day Weekend everyone! Last time, I shared with you an appetizer recipe you can easily make and bring to your own Labor Day potluck/BBQ event.
Today, I am bringing you desserts! Summer is coming to an end, which means, we won`t be seeing an abundance of fruits at the markets anymore. Thankfully, blueberries and strawberries can be bought year around where I live (although they`re not as juicy or sweet compared to the summer ones).
Cheesecakes can be a fussy dessert-they sometimes require a water bath or you`re worrying about the tops cracking. Cheesecake cupcakes simplifies all the fussiness. :) These blueberry cheesecakes are the perfect dessert to bring and enjoy before summer quickly ends. Fruits are loved by many, so why not eat as many as you can before Winter arrives, right?
I made these for my uncle`s birthday and knew they`ll be a great dessert for him share with many people. You can definitely use regular graham crackers to make the crust instead of Oreo cookies, but those chocolate cookies are loved by many...so why not please the crowd? Haha~
The berry sauce on top makes the cheesecakes slightly fancier and adds to the blueberry taste. Plus, adding a blueberry sauce means you don`t have to worry about how the tops of the cheesecakes turn out. You can definitely choose to add a dollop of whipped cream and a mint leaf on top of each cheesecake instead. Oh, that will be gorgeous as well!
If you're making the blueberry sauce and want to make the recipe easier, you don`t have to puree the blueberries and add it into the cheesecake mixture. You can just make a regular cheesecake base and top with the blueberry sauce, too. There are many options to go with this! So, just go with whatever you have on hand. Why fuss, when you should be relaxing this holiday weekend!
Blueberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
Adapted: Annie's Eats | Yields:16 cupcakes | Level: Easy-Medium | Total Time: 90 minutes + about 4 hours chilling time | Print
§ 2 cups Oreo cookies crumbs
§ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
§ ¼ cup blueberries
§ 1 tablespoons lemon juice
§ 1 lb (2- 8oz) cream cheese, room temperature
§ ¾ cups granulated sugar
§ Dash of salt
§ ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
§ 2 large eggs, room temperature
Berry Sauce: (makes about ¾ cup)
§ 1 cup blueberries, divided ¾ cup ¼ cup
§ 1 tablespoons lemon juice
§ ½ teaspoon cornstarch
§ 1 tablespoon water
§ 1 tablespoon strawberry jam (optional)
- muffin pan(s)
- muffin liners
- food processor
- 1 large bowl w/ electric mixer
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 cookie scoop (optional)
- cooling rack
- 1 small saucepan
- 1 wooden spoon
1. Preheat oven to 325°F
2. Line your cupcake pan with liners.
3. In a small bowl, combine your cookie crumbs with the melted butter, making sure all the crumbs are well coated.
4. Press onto the bottom of your cupcake liners and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
5. In a food processor, puree ¼ cup of blueberries and lemon juice together until smooth. Set aside.
6. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese on medium speed until smooth and fluffy.
7. Mix in the sugar until smooth.
8. Add the salt and vanilla and mix.
9. Next, mix in each egg well, one at a time.
10. Stir in the blueberry puree to the cheesecake filling.
11. Scoop and divide cheesecake filling between each cupcake (use a cookie scoop to make even cupcakes, if you have one).
12. Bake for 22 minutes, until filling is set.
13. Cool to room temperature before chilling in fridge completely, 4 hours, or overnight.
14. While cheesecakes are cooling, make the blueberry sauce.
15. In a small bowl, smash ¼ cup of blueberries with the back of a fork.
16. Add lemon juice and mix to combine.
17. Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and heat on low heat.
18. Stir in the cornstarch, water, strawberry jam, and the rest of the blueberries.
19. Stir occasionally. When sauce thickens and starts to bubble lightly, continue to cook and stir around for about 1 more minute. Remove from heat.
20. Transfer to a jar or container and cool down to room temperature before chilling in fridge completely before using.
21. Top cheesecake cupcakes with sauce before you serve them.