I`ll admit that it`s a little weird to have such a long recipe name for just some waffles. Let`s be honest, these are NOT "some waffles" right here. They are special. Let me reiterate these very important words: brown butter, blueberry, dulce de leche, and waffles.
Yep. These waffles are in fact, made with brown butter. Then, you add in some juicy blueberries and swirl in some dulce de leche. If you want to go even further, make the dulce de leche drizzle. Although, if you want one less bowl to clean, pure maple syrup will be just as perfect!
These waffles should be made for some special occasion since it has 2 extra steps compared to your ordinary waffles. First, you need to make your brown butter. Then later, you`ll need to whisk/whip up your egg whites until it reaches soft peaks before you fold them into the batter. So, so, so worth the 2 steps! ;)
Actually, scratch that. Make them even when you don`t have a special occasion to celebrate. Do it, just because you want to make your breakfast extra special that day for someone (or even yourself!). It`s summer, so enjoy the berries and make some special waffles with a mouthful of a name!
Drizzle, drip, drip, drip. ♥
Brown Butter Blueberry Dulce de Leche Waffles
Brown Butter Waffles:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup vanilla yogurt
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons dulce de leche, warm
- Frozen Wild blueberries
Dulce de Leche Drizzle:
- 2 tablespoons dulce de leche
- 2 teaspoons milk
Brown Butter Waffles
1. Preheat oven to 200°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Using a pastry brush, brush your waffle iron with oil and preheat it.
3. In a small saucepan, brown your butter: Over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisking occasionally, let the butter turn into an amber color. It will foam a little. Once it subsides and brown specks appears at the bottom of the pan, it will begin to have a nutty aroma. Once butter turns a light golden brown color, transfer to a bowl to cool. (I stick it in the freezer to make it cool faster--about 5-10 minutes.)
4. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, milk, brown butter, egg yolks, and vanilla extract.
6. Add the wet ingredients (yogurt, etc) into the dry ingredients (flour, etc).
7. In a bowl with electric mixer, whip your egg whites until soft peaks form.
8. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the egg whites into the batter until barely combined.
9. Drizzle in some dulce de leche into batter.
10. Pour batter into waffle iron.
11. Add some blueberries.
12. Cook until both sides are done.
13. Place finished waffles in oven as you make the rest.
Dulce de Leche Drizzle:
14. In a small bowl, whisk together dulce de leche and milk. Drizzle over waffles along with maple syrup.
- Fresh blueberries will also work!