There are probably millions of brownie recipes out there and I sure have a lot of brownie recipes on my blog, as well. We, as humans, just can`t resist chocolate. Once in awhile, the chocolate craving is intense and can only be satisfied with a pan of brownies, you know?
Yes, Valentine's Day is totally and completely a commercialized and heavily marketed holiday. Products, such as those cards children pass out in classrooms, are produced for the sole purpose of this holiday. Even bloggers, like me, are part of this marketed holiday with our posts on Valentine's Day treats for your love ones. I may contribute towards this in a way, but I don`t want you for your money. Nope. I just want you to enjoy fantastic food! So, even though this holiday is probably produced from economists trying to make money, sweets are involved and I love sweets! It`s just another excuse for me to make (and eat!) a special treat. And, I get to share these recipes with you! :)
Chocolates are popular and great gifts for Valentine's Day. I`d say homemade chocolate desserts are an even better gift! The addition of bourbon and dulce de leche in these brownies make them extra special and decadent.
If you`re looking for some thick, dense, and really decadent brownies...look no further. You`ve got some right here. I love the added saltiness from the sprinkles of fleur de sel. I enjoyed these brownies with a dusting of powdered sugar in small bites. You can definitely top them with ice cream, too. Yum!
Dulce de Leche Bourbon Brownies
Adapted: Pioneer Woman| Yields: 16 servings | Level: Easy | Total Time: 80 minutes
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 ½ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 2 ½ tablespoons bourbon whiskey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup dulce de leche (about half of a 14oz can)
- fleur de sel salt, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper, or grease well.
2. Melt your chocolate in the microwave in intervals of 40-30 seconds until melted. Stir in between each intervals. Let it cool down.
3. In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs, beating well in between each addition.
5. Gradually mix in the melted chocolate. Then mix until combined.
6. Next, add the flour and mix to combine.
7. Mix in the bourbon and vanilla until combined.
8. Transfer batter into prepared pan.
9. Heat your dulce de leche to a drizzling consistency (about 30 seconds in microwave).
10. Scatter large spoonfuls of dulce de leche on top of the batter.
11. Use a knife and run the dulce de leche through the batter, swirling up and down.
12. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with a little wet crumbs, but not too gooey.
13. Allow brownies to cool in pan for 15 minutes, before removing to cool completely on a cooling rack.
14. Cut brownies into 1- 1½ inch squares. Add more dulce de leche and sprinkle with fleur de sel, or sea salt on top.
- Brownies are thick, dense, and very decadent. Can also top with ice cream or powdered sugar.