I`ve been pretty inspired by all fancy sugar cookie decorations I have been seeing on Instagram lately. But, I`m lazy when it comes to baking sometimes... I know from experience how time-consuming decorating sugar cookies can take, thus, deterring me from actually making them. One day...
These cookies aren`t exactly sugar cookies, more like butter cookies, but you make them in a similar way. You cream together butter, sugar, flour. Let the dough chill, then you roll out and cut out shapes. Luckily, there`s no need to make 50 different shades of royal icing to make these cookies look cute. After you cut out the shapes, you place a little dollop of strawberry jam in the middle and fold up the two bottom sides together to seal, kind of like a flower bouquet! I was gonna called them strawberry bouquets too, but decided to keep the original recipe name instead.
I actually made these cookies for Mother`s Day since they looked like mini flower bouquets to me. My mom also loves lemon flavored desserts, so I added the lemon glaze to give a little acidic punch to each bite!
Strawberry Fans with Lemon Icing
Adapted: Better Homes & Garden| Yields: about 26 cookies | Level: Easy-Medium | Total Time: 90 minutes
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1.5 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup powdered sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese on med-high speed.
2. Add sugar and salt. Beat mixture until light and fluffy.
3. Add in lemon juice and vanilla extract and mix to combine.
4. Add and mix in the cornstarch.
5. Add in the flour and mix to combine.
6. Divide dough in half, form into discs, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill dough for at least 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
8. On a flat and clean surface, roll out dough (working with one disc at a time) to about 1/8 inch in thickness. Use a round cookie cutter to cut out circles from dough.
9. Place dough on baking sheet. Spoon a dollop of strawberry jam in center of each circle. Take the bottom sides of the circle and pinch together, forming a point.
10. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are slightly golden. Allow cookies to rest on baking sheet for about 2 minutes.
11. Transfer cookies to cool on a cooling rack.
12. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and powdered sugar together until it reaches a smooth and drizzle-able consistency. (Add more powdered sugar if too runny, or more lemon juice if too thick.)
13. Drizzle over cooled cookies.
- Store cookies in fridge.
- I used a 2 ½ inch circle cookie cutter with scalloped edges all around.